From our friends at Terrapin Bright Green:
Terrapin Press Release – Tapping into Nature
The Future of Energy, Innovation, and Business
Terrapin’s new paper highlights profitable examples of bioinspired innovations and illustrates how companies can use bioinspiration as a tool for innovation.
We are pleased to announce the release of Tapping into Nature: The Future of Energy, Innovation, and Business, our newest publication. The paper explores breakthrough bioinspired products and the vast, largely untapped market potential of a biologically-inspired approach to innovation.
Organisms have flourished on Earth for nearly 4 billion years, continuously adapting to our planet’s diverse environments and diffuse energy flows. Abstracting ideas from these adaptations opens the way to technological breakthroughs and profitable innovation that are often unattainable using conventional approaches to product design and development.
At Terrapin, we believe that bioinspired innovation transforms businesses and industries, improves quality of life, and enhances the natural environment. This paper is a product of our experience developing bioinspired technologies and a testament to the potential we see in this rapidly growing field.
Highlights from the paper include:
- An introduction outlining the advantages of bioinspired innovation over conventional approaches.
- An exploration of nine cross-sector topics through biological strategies and related bioinspired products.
- An interactive infographic (Market Readiness of Bioinspired Innovations) showcasing over 100 examples of bioinspired technologies, ranging from early concepts to profitable commercial products.
- A discussion by the Fermanian Business & Economic Institute, which forecasts the economic impact of bioinspired innovation: $425 billion to GDP and 2 million jobs by 2030.
- Tapping into Nature traces the path from biology to commercialized technologies. We hope to inspire you to tap into nature at your organization.
“We believe that bioinspiration is the next transformative opportunity for companies looking to innovate and organizations looking to transition to a regenerative economy.”
– Chris Garvin, Partner at Terrapin
Tapping into Nature is available here. Please contact Cas Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information regarding this publication and our services related to bioinspired innovation.
Terrapin is a sustainability consulting and strategic planning firm committed to improving the human environment through high performance development, policy, and related research. Working across the US and internationally, our partners have been called on by private companies, public institutions, and federal, state, and local agencies including the US Department of Defense, the White House, the National Park Service, former NYC Mayor Bloomberg’s Office of Long-Term Planning and Sustainability, the National Geographic Society, Glumac Engineering, and the Natural Resources Defense Council. Our founders were instrumental in the creation of the US Green Building Council and its LEED rating system, and are frequently asked to serve as board members, jurors, and special advisors on green building. Terrapin is directed by partners Bob Fox, Rick Cook, Bill Browning and Chris Garvin. Terrapin Bright Green is based in New York City and Washington, DC.